Horizon Power sponsored the annual general meeting and harvest review of the South East Premium Wheat Growers Association (SEPWA) last week and launched new materials aimed at making farmers more aware of how to work with electricity more safely.
The ‘Staying Safe Around The Farm’ materials highlight that while we have had the luxury of electricity for more than 100 years, sometimes people still forget just how dangerous it can be.
The risks can be even greater on farms where physical damage to electrical systems can be caused by livestock, equipment and people.Some important suggestions include:
- Do some basic checks before starting work
- Consider all electrical hazards on your property before crop dusting
- Plan ahead and always monitor when stubble burning
- Be aware of the height and width of your equipment and the loads you transport
- Be aware of the things you can do to help us keep your power on and keep you safe
- Be aware that electrical assets may be underground