Skip to main content

New electricity and meter connections

  • New meter request
  • New electricity connection
  • Overhead to underground supply
  • Unmetered supply

Are you building and need to install a meter/ open an account?

If you need a temporary power supply for your builder to carry out works, or a permanent supply to your new home, you'll need to install a meter so you can be billed for the electricity you use. There must already be a connection to the electricity network available at the property i.e. a service pillar (green dome). They’re typically located just inside the property boundary.

You can call us to open an account, or complete the forms below. If you're already a customer with us, please have your account number handy so we can link your accounts in our system. If you need a temporary supply, we'll provide you with a Customer Reference Number (CRN) to provide your builder and/ or electrical contractor, to be used on all future correspondence.

How much will it cost?

  • Temporary supply connection fee: $915.00 
    The charge to provide a single or three phase temporary connection to your premise while building works are carried out. 
  • Permanent power supply fee: $914.00 
    The charge to install and connect a single or three phase meter. Also charged when upgrading from a single to three phase meter.

    Please note: the ‘Installation of a new meter’ fixed charge will be included on your first bill.

What to do next?

Do you need a new electricity connection to our network?

If you're connecting power to a property or block of land where there has never been a connection to the Horizon Power network before, you'll need to request a new connection.

How much will it cost?

  • This is dependent on the size, type and location of the connection. We'll provide you with a quote once we've reviewed your requirements.
  • If your connection has a total maximum load of between 30 kVA and 1000 kVA (or 10% of the relevant systems peak load), a design fee of $6,287.00 will apply.
  • This form will also capture your CT metering requirements
  • We explain this in more detail, along with the application process and the information you need to provide, on the application form.
  • Note: for large connections, you can submit a preliminary enquiry to our team and discuss your requirements, before submitting a complete application. 

What to do next? 

How do I change from overhead to underground power?

Running an underground cable from the pole in the street to your property is commonly referred to as a pole to pillar connection. A pillar is connected to the network and installed inside your property, close to the side and front boundaries. You need to organise an electrical contractor to install a mains cable from the pillar to your meter box to complete the connection.

How much will it cost?

You may qualify for the subsidised rate of $4,973.50 (up to 3 dwellings) if you meet the terms and conditions. If not, your application will be assessed and quoted on a case-by-case basis. An underground power supply is mandatory for all new connections and upgrades. Refer to the form below for more information.

What to do next?

Request streetlights, traffic lights and boom gates 

Complete the form below to request an unmetered supply, such as streetlights, traffic lights and boom gates.

How much will it cost?

  • We'll provide you with a quote once we've reviewed your requirements.

What to do next? 

Upgrade or modify an existing supply

Upgrade or modify an existing power supply

Upgrade your power supply, connect an overhead network to an underground connection or relocate an electrical asset.

Disconnect a power supply

Renovating and need to disconnect or demolish?

There are a number of reasons why you may need to disconnect your power supply while work is carried out at your property.